Extreme North, UK
Following the Feel Low…Drive High theme, fund-raising for our life-changing adventures includes a 4×4 Rally in which participants will drive their own vehicles to the most extreme northerly point of the UK – Saxa Vord, Shetland Islands. Recovering veterans who have already undertaken challenges with us will be acting as Support Crew in 2018, with injured military veterans taking on more and more supporting and leadership roles with every year of this new annual event.
This 10 day driving adventure through the Scottish Highlands, Orkney and Shetland Isles will be a mixture of stunning landscapes, incredible roads, military history, ancient archaeology and warm hospitality as the team makes their way ever further north via:
- Glencoe: Jaw dropping landscape featured in the Bond film, Skyfall
- Commando Memorial: WW2 training ground at Spean Bridge
- North Coast 500: Voted one of the top 5 coastal driving routes in the world
- Eileen Donnan Castle: Featured in the film Highlander
- Applecross Mountain Pass: Greatest ascent of any road climb in the UK
- Poolewe Loch: Formation point for the WW2 Arctic Convoys
- Scapa Flow: Home of the British Grand Fleet during WW1
- Skara Brae: Europe’s most complete Neolithic village
- Ring of Brodgar: Neolithic stone circle
- Shetland Bus: Clandestine operation of WW2
- RAF Saxa Vord: Most northerly accessible point by vehicle – a restricted military road
Overnight stops will normally be at locations that offer a range of facilities to suit different budgets, providing the option of either camping, hostel or hotel accommodation.
For full details click here. The only pre-requisites for joining us are a 4×4, common sense and an adventurous spirit. If you feel you’ve got what it takes, register your interest here and join us on this fund-raising adventure.